Summer issue of the Magazine Division’s journal
You'll find these articles featured in the latest issue of the Journal of Magazine & New Media Research.
Editor’s Reflection: The X Factor
Elizabeth Hendrickson, Ohio University
The Women’s Magazine Diet: Frames and Sources in Nutrition and Fitness Articles
Chelsea Reynolds, University of Minnesota
Susan LoRusso, University of Minnesota
Survivors and Dreamers: A Rhetorical Vision of Teen Voices Magazine
Ellen Gerl, Ohio University
Book Review: The Making of Essence
Miglena Sternadori, Texas Tech University
Latest issue of Magazine Matter
• Susan Currie Sivek’s "Note from the Division Head" shares, among other topics, wonderful news about our division's name.
• Carol Holstead informs us of exciting new possibilities in submitting to the magazine competition.
• In case you did not have the opportunity to read it in other venues, we've also included the history of our division's journal.
• And, Miglena Sternadori has provided the grid for programming for the AEJMC Minneapolis conference; hot off the press, it is included here as well.
• A special thank you to Sharon Bloyd-Peshkin for doing such a terrific write-up of the San Francisco magazine tour, with notes on each visit, including info on internships, the state of the field, and challenges of new technologies, not to mention photos.
Many thanks to newsletter editor Sheila Webb for editing and producing this informative issue. Please send Sheila articles for the next issue.
A question from Donna Harrington-Lueker about student magazines prompted a number of responses on the Magazine Division listserv. A list of student magazines has been added to this site. If you would like to add a student magazine, please send the link and a brief description to Carol Schwalbe.
Please submit articles to the Journal of Magazine & New Media Research
The Magazine Division’s scholarly, refereed journal is now entering its 12th year. Its focus is the promotion and publication of research dealing with magazines and new media and the pedagogy related to those two areas. The journal publishes research reports, interpretive articles, opinion pieces, and critical reviews of books and teaching materials that deal with the field of magazines and new media.
If you’re interested in submitting an article, opinion
piece, or review, check out the journal guidelines.
Please contribute to the Course Syllabi Sharing Service
Begun in 2002, the Course Syllabi Sharing Service includes copies of syllabi from magazine courses taught around the country, including feature writing and introductory magazine writing, advanced magazine writing and literary journalism, magazine design, magazine editing, magazine management, and online media.
If you’d like to participate in this service, please e-mail Carol Schwalbe a Word document or PDF file of your syllabi along with the name of the course. If your syllabi are already online, you can send me the URL.
Interested in reviewing a book or receiving a book to review for the Journal of Magazine & New Media Research?
contact Book Review Editor Miglena Sternadori.
FUTURE AEJMC CONVENTIONS
Chicago—Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Washington, D.C.—Renaissance Washington DC Downtown